What is naturopathic medicine?
Naturopathic medicine is an approach to health care that uses natural, non-toxic therapies to treat the whole person and encourage the self-healing process. Naturopathic clinicians treat a variety of conditions, including digestive issues, respiratory conditions, chronic fatigue syndrome and cancer.
As part of our integrative oncology services, our naturopathic oncology providers focus on reducing the risk of harmful effects from cancer treatments. With a wide variety of natural therapies available, they select and propose the intervention that is appropriate for your health. Your naturopathic oncology provider acts as a consultant to your oncologist to support normal metabolism and digestion during cancer treatment; manage any side effects, such as nausea or fatigue; and boost immune function.
As part of the intake process, you’ll meet with your naturopathic oncology provider, who will review your history and make recommendations from a wide variety of natural therapies. Your naturopathic oncology provider also will review current supplements to identify herb-drug-nutrient interactions.
Throughout your treatment, your naturopathic oncology provider will recommend natural therapies to support your immune system and reduce any treatment-related side effects, including:
- Herbal and botanical preparations, including herbal extracts and teas.
- Dietary supplements, including vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
- Homeopathic remedies, extremely low doses of plant extracts and minerals that gently strengthen the body’s healing and immune response.
- Physical therapy and exercise therapy, including massage and other gentle techniques used on deep muscles and joints for therapeutic purposes.
- Hydrotherapy, which prescribes water-based approaches like hot and cold wraps, and other therapies.
- Lifestyle counseling: Many medical conditions can be treated with exercise, improved sleep, stress reduction techniques, as well as foods and nutritional supplements.
- Acupuncture: Your naturopathic oncology provider may also recommend incorporating acupuncture into your treatment plan.
Experienced care team
All of our naturopathic oncology providers have extensive knowledge of radiation therapy, chemotherapy and other cancer treatments, in addition to their expertise in the effects of natural therapies. As a part of your care team, they are in regular communication with your oncologists and other clinicians to help guide your treatment plan.
Personalized treatment approach
We personalize treatment plans to the individual based on each person’s goals and experiences. Your care team would help you decide which naturopathic medicine therapies would help achieve your goals. You may have one or more of the above therapies during the course of your treatment.